Photo Manipulation


This week in my photo class we had to take at least two photos and edit them and merge them into one. At first, I was excited about the possibilities of this assignment but as I buckled down to the task it became very frustrating at times. I couldn’t just take two unrelated photos unless I could create a new picture that had some sense to it, or some kind of meaning whether it was real or fake. I decided to go for something funny. My inspiration came from viewing some memes.  Think about it. Memes are basically taking a picture or two and making something out of it and adding a caption.

Now I had to decide which two photographs to use. I thought it should mean something. I could have taken a photo of a paper clip and an escalator but why would I.  I settled on a photo of my refrigerator and a cup filled with juice. I chose a fruity drink so there would be a nice colour in the glass to work with. My edited photo would be called “chilled drink”.  The picture is intended to be funny. By placing the refrigerator inside the glass, it gives the illusion that the refrigerator is actually keeping the drink cold. Funny right?
           
            I purposely left the photos and magnets on the fridge while I shot the photo. My intentions were to edit them out later on, but this was something I couldn’t accomplish. At least not yet but I have confidence that I will have this figured out by the end of the semester. I did manage to shrink the refrigerator small enough to fit inside the glass. I also blended the fridge into the juice, so it looked better. One of my main concerns was to make sure the refrigerator looked as if it was inside the glass not just one photo on top of another photo. It took me awhile, but I finally mastered it!
           
            One thing a photographer does not want to do is confuse their audience. I have made it very clear that I have edited the two pictures for a humorous effect no one is really going to believe that the glass is big enough to hold a fridge! Or that the refrigerator is small enough to fit in the glass.

            My finished photograph is a piece of art, never to be intended as press photography. It would not enhance any news story or current event. It could, however, be used in advertising. Maybe for a juice or alcohol ad or even a refrigerator advertisement. They could use the caption “our refrigerators are really keeping your drinks cold!” Maybe I should become a slogan writer?

            My photo is a good example of art photography. I took two photos merged them and edited them to make a funny statement. This differs from press photography because the image would not be used to enhance a story that might be part of a newspaper or magazine. Art photography is solely creative. Press photography is telling a story. A true story. It is to enhance the story as a visual aid and to help make the story clearer. The reader should be able to understand the written story better. A press photographer has a lot more restrictions        then an art photographer. A press photographer should not edit the photos in a way that would change the meaning or intention of the story or the original picture. An art photographer is encouraged to edit. An art photographer can capture an image and edit it in any way for the purpose of creating a better or different picture. A press photographer must keep the image as original as possible as well as tell the story that they are trying to portray truthfully, accurately and without opinion. An art photographer has much more freedom than a press photographer.

            If I had to choose, I would much rather be an art photographer than a press photographer. I like the freedom of art photography and being allowed to be creative. I don’t think I would like the pressure that a press photographer might have. To each his own, I guess. I would imagine quite often a press photographer would have to race to get to the next story. Perhaps the thrill of that and, depending who you work for, the chance to fly all over the world would be enticement for some. There is always the chance for an award. Could you imagine a Nobel prize?

            I’m looking forward to what else we are going to learn in this class. I never thought I would be able to use these techniques all while enjoying myself. This beats math class right?


Reference List
"Small Business". Smallbusiness.Chron.Com, 2018, https://smallbusiness.chron.com/. Accessed 13 Nov 2018.

Debowczyk, Karolina, and View profile. "Photography". Karolinagbphoto.Blogspot.Com, 2018, http://karolinagbphoto.blogspot.com/. Accessed 13 Nov 2018.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog